The initial capital cost of municipal infrastructure is about 20% of the life-cycle cost; the other 80% largely represents a future unfunded liability. Each year, the funding shortfall grows. Fiscal constraints provide a driver for a change in the way local governments plan, finance, implement and over time replace infrastructure.
Through a program of professional development, the four Comox Valley local governments are striving for a consistent regional approach to Sustainable Service Delivery. The focus of the 2011 Seminar Series is on how all those involved in land development have a role to play.
In April, Seminar #1 painted a picture of the ‘legacy liability’ of existing hard infrastructure (i.e. roads, water, sewers).
On May 19, Seminar #2 will deal with green infrastructure and ‘sustainable urban drainage’. Jim Dumont will explain the water balance methodology and demonstrate how to establish performance targets for rainfall capture. A town-hall sharing session will then explore how to implement green infrastructure in Northeast Comox to protect the agricultural lowlands.
To learn more, click on Sustainable Service Delivery: ‘Design with Nature’, Protect Stream Stability, and Save Money and read the complete story posted on the Water Bucket website.To download a PDF document version, click here.
Comox Valley Update #2011-06
May 12, 2011